1.New York University (NYU)
One of New York City’s leading institutions, New York University (NYU) is currently featured within the 20 top universities worldwide for accounting & finance, business & management and economics & econometrics.
In the overall QS World University Rankings, NYU is ranked 41st in the world. While the majority of its FAME programs are still only offered for on-campus students, NYU’s School of Continuing Studies offers various graduate certificates and courses, as well as online master’s degree programs in Human Resources Management and Development (MS), Management and Systems (MS) and Professional Writing (MS).
2.University of Michigan
Placed 23rd in the overall world rankings, the University of Michigan is often labelled the “best of the mid-west”, located in Michigan, US.
The Ann Arbor campus remains the main (and most recognized) campus in the University of Michigan system, ranked in the top 30 for all FAME disciplines in our subject rankings.
For online degrees, however, it’s worth checking out the University of Michigan-Flint, where options include an online bachelor’s degree in business administration (BBA) and an online master’s degree in accounting (MSA).
3.University of California, Berkeley
The Berkeley Resource Center for Online Education (BRCOE) is the online education branch of the University of California, Berkeley. It offers online master’s degrees as well as blended learning programs, professional certificates, summer courses, extensions and MOOCs. Although full online degrees are so far only offered in the fields of public health and circuit engineering, there are various professional certificate programs in business-related areas such as corporate financial management, marketing and macroeconomics. As well as ranking 27th in the overall world rankings, Berkeley also ranks 7th for economics, 11th for accounting and 12th for business worldwide.
4. University of North Carolina
The University of North Carolina, ranked 62nd in the world and within the top 100 for accounting & finance, is also in this list of top online universities thanks to UNC Online. The site features a number of online business degree programs offered by various universities in North Carolina, including North Carolina State University, which is ranked 388th in the world rankings. As well as the UNC Chapel Hill’s reputed online MBA, UNC online also offers online bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees and certificate programs in a number of specialized areas such as agriculture management.
5. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Just one place behind UNC (63rd) in the world rankings is the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, which ranks 47th for accounting & finance and within the top 100 worldwide for both business and economics. The school’s Center for Innovation in Teaching & Learning (CITL) combines teaching from other reputed schools in the University of Illinois system, including the Chicago campus (ranked 186th in the world rankings), and offers various online degrees including an online MBA and an online master’s degree in taxation.
6. Carnegie Mellon University
7. Carnegie Mellon University is placed 65th in the overall world rankings, 50th in the economics ranking, and within the top 100 worldwide for both accounting and business. One of the top online universities, Carnegie gives students the option to study online in a number of formats, including full-time, part-time, online or as a dual degree, across a range of departments, including specialized fields such as the MS in Computational Finance from Carnegie’s Tepper School of Business. See the full list of distance and blended learning programs here.
7. Boston University
BU Online is Boston University’s innovative new distance and blended learning platform, offering various online master’s degree programs across areas such as computing and management, including the MS in Banking & Financial Services Management. Professional certificates, doctoral programs and an undergraduate completion course are also offered. Ranked 78th in the overall world rankings, BU also features among the world’s top 100 for accounting and business, and places 32nd for economics.
8. Pennsylvania State University
Often labeled a ‘public Ivy’, Pennsylvania State University is ranked 112th in the overall world rankings and within the world’s top 100 for both business and economics. The Penn State World Campus makes PSU one of the top online universities, offering a comprehensive choice of online bachelor’s degree and master’s degree programs, as well as associate’s degrees and professional certificates. For prospective FAME students, there are online business degree programs in finance, human resources, public administration, supply chain management and more.
University of Minnesota, US
9. University of Minnesota
The University of Minnesota system has launched its Digital Campus, which offers a number of online degree programs across study areas such as public health, computer science and engineering. The school also offers online bachelor’s degrees in areas such as accounting, international business and marketing, as well as professional certificates in applied business. Ranked 119th worldwide, the University of Minnesota is also among the 100 top universities for both accounting and business, and 41st for economics.
University of Southern California, US
10. University of Southern California
11. Ranked 131st in the world rankings and within the top 100 for accounting, business and economics, the University of Southern California claims a place among the top online universities in the US thanks to its USC Online platform. As well as programs across education, computer science and engineering, the school also offers online business degree programs such as the MS in Global Supply Chain Management, taught by USC Marshall School of Business.
Other leading US universities offering online education:
University of California, Irvine (153rd in the world rankings, UCI Online)
University of Florida (192nd in the world rankings, UFOnline)
Indiana Bloomington University (272nd in the world rankings, IU Online)
University of Massachusetts, Amherst (282nd in the world rankings, UMass Online)
Arizona State University (294th in the world rankings, ASU Online)
Top UK universities offering online business degrees
University of Manchester, UK
1. The University of Manchester
2. As well as offering a range of MOOCs, the University of Manchester (ranked 30th in the overall world rankings) also offers various postgraduate distance learning programs, including the MSc in Human Resource Management and Development, the MSc in Management and Information Systems and the Manchester Global MBA. Thanks in large part to its well-reputed Manchester Business School, the university as a whole ranks 18th in the world for accounting, 30th for business and in the top 100 for economics.
4. City University London
5. Featured in the overall world rankings at 341st, City University London is within the global top 150 for accounting, business and economics. It offers a range of international programs taught across the prestigious University of London system which also includes SOAS, Royal Holloway, LSE, Birkbeck and more. With flexible options to study online across business and management areas at all degree levels, City University also offers a distance learning LLM (Masters of Law) degree in International Business Law and an MSc in international business administration.
University of Liverpool, UK
5. University of Liverpool
6. Though it doesn’t currently appear within our FAME subject rankings, the University of Liverpool comes 123rd in the overall world rankings, and offers as many as 36 industry-focused online degrees across its academic departments. These include a master’s and PhD in business administration (MBA and DBA) and a master’s degree in management.
Other top universities offering online degrees, around the world:
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universitt Bonn (Germany; 177th in the world rankings)
RMIT University (Australia; 304th in the world rankings; Open.edu.au)
The University of Newcastle (Australia; 257th in the world rankings; Gradschool.edu.au)
If you’re considering taking an online master’s in business administration (MBA), take a look at the dedicated QS Distance Online MBA Rankings, over on our sister site TopMBA.com.
This article was originally published in May 2015 . It was last updated in March 2021
Want more content like this Register for free site membership to get regular updates and your own personal content feed.
Discover a range of online business degrees on QS Course Finder
Laura is a former staff writer for TopUniversities.com, providing advice and guidance for students on a range of topics helping them to choose where to study, get admitted and find funding and scholarships
. A graduate of Queen Mary University of London, Laura also blogs about student life.